If you have any technical questions about the submission form, login information, contact Submittable directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXTENDED - Please complete your application by 11:59pm PST on April 15, 2020. Early submissions are highly encouraged. The application to the 2020 National Critics Institute will request the following materials:
- Contact Information - Name, email address, phone number, and mailing address.
- Professional Information - A brief sketch of your biography that includes any honors, awards, and theatrical experience; a list of your degrees and certifications; a summary of your current work as a writer and/or an arts critic; an overview of your strengths as a writer and/or an arts critic; an overview of any aspects of your writing and/or arts criticism that you feel need improvement.
- Two Writing Samples - Please submit two samples of your writing that best illustrate your experience, analytical acumen, and style. Ideal samples are in the form of critical writing; however, links to audio recordings, video clips and other media are acceptable if they best reflect your professional work. We are only able to accept PDF files.
- Letter of Recommendation - This letter should be from an editor, teacher, or mentor. You will be asked to provide your recommender’s email address, which will allow them to upload their letter of recommendation directly.
- Scholarship Information - Thanks to a generous grant from the Knight Foundation, applicants who live or work in a select number of cities across the U.S. may be eligible for a scholarship that will fully support the participation of recipients. The full list of cities can be found on the NCI website and on this application form. The O'Neill strives to ensure scholarship funding is available for all NCI participants, and additional merit-based scholarships will be made available to well-qualified applicants. No financial information is required at this time.
Due to the high volume of submissions that the National Critics Institute receives annually, we ask that you carefully review the following:
- You must adhere to all stated guidelines to ensure your application is complete.
- If an error is discovered upon review of your submission, the O'Neill literary office will reach out to you directly. You will have 48 hours to update your application with the corrected material. If your application is not amended within that window, it will be withdrawn and your fee will not be refunded.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the O'Neill literary office at email@example.com or (860) 443-5378 x 227.