Welcome to the Launchpad of the American Theater. The O'Neill uses Submittable to help you submit your new play to the National Playwrights Conference or admission materials for a semester with the National Theater Institute.
Create an account below to start your application, save it, and submit it on your time.
National Playwrights Conference: LitOffice@theoneill.org (upcoming deadline 10/11/19)
National Theater Institute: NTIAdmissions@theoneill.org (upcoming deadline 10/20/19)
If you have any technical questions regarding the Submission form, login information or payment, please contact Submittable at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be asked to provide the following materials:
- A single PDF of the first 30 pages of your book or script. This document should be named after the title of your piece. Be sure to include page numbers, and feel free to include a page or two over the limit to avoid breaking up a scene. If any of your demo tracks fall within these first 30 pages, please note where they begin.
- A single PDF of your full track list. Include the full title of each song, character names, and the page number of the script where each track begins — even if it falls outside of the first 30 pages.
- Up to five demos tracks as MP3 audio files. Be sure to include the track number and song title in the name of each file. You are welcome to include demos that fall outside of your script sample. You may not upload more than five files.
- A short biographical statement for each creative artist on your team.
- A Statement of Objectives for your piece.
- A Developmental History of your submission.
- A short Synopsis of your piece.
- A Character Breakdown for your piece. Please list character name, vocal/instrumental requirements, doubling schemes, and any necessary identifying trait including but not limited to age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, ability, etc.
- Additional Information: Be prepared to provide your contact information, and, if applicable, that of your representation. If you are adapting a piece that is not in the public domain, please email a copy of your rights to the work to email@example.com after submitting your application. You may also include a link to one or two videos of your demos in performance, but please do NOT link to a video recording of the entire piece.
- Make sure to settle the $35 application fee at the end of the application form.
Due to the high volume of submissions that the National Music Theater Conference receives annually, we ask that you carefully review the following:
- You must adhere to all stated guidelines to ensure your application is complete.
- If an error is discovered upon review of your submission, the O'Neill Literary Office will reach out to you directly. You will have 48 hours to update your application with the corrected material. If your application is not amended within that window, it will be withdrawn and your fee will not be refunded.
Please complete your application by 11:59pm PST on November 1, 2019. If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the O'Neill Literary Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 443-5378 x 227.
"NTI is a practicum. It is your laboratory. We hope to test your limits. We hope that you exceed your own expectations and perceptions of what those limits may be. We hope to redefine what you believe is possible, the possibilities of what can happen in a day, and the possibilities of what can happen on the stage. The people you work with at NTI join you on your professional and personal journey sharing a common experience, language, and work ethic. Ready? Let's begin!" - Rachel Jett, NTI Artistic Director
THANK YOU FOR APPLYING TO THE NATIONAL THEATER INSTITUTE! We look forward to reviewing your materials and working together to support your artistic aspirations.
- MARCH 20 - (Summer and Fall Programs) National Theater Institute Semester, National Music Theater Institute, NTI-Advanced Directing, Moscow Art Theatre Semester, Theatermakers Summer Intensive
- *DEADLINE EXTENDED* - NOVEMBER 1 (Spring '20 Programs) National Theater Institute Semester, NTI-Advanced Directing, NTI-Advanced Playwriting
NTI uses Submittable to help you manage your application. Create an account below to start your application, save it, and submit it on your time.
QUESTIONS? Contact us at email@example.com.